3/31/12
Wow, what a weekend already!
4/22/12
So now, a few weeks later, I am finishing this post real quick.
Grandpa Gurr passed away on March 26, 2012, after complications from surgery after getting hit by a car on the way to get the mail a week or so earlier. I honestly wasn't too sad about it, I think because we didn't get to see him and Grandma Gurr a ton growing up. I was more sad for my dad and Grandma Gurr, and the rest of Dad's siblings.
But the funeral was so nice. It was on the Friday before General Conference, and we all went. Even Peter and Sally and her kids flew in. I rode down with Mom and Dad and Peter (they picked me up in Provo) Thurs. afternoon for the viewing that night, and the Kerrs and Merkleys, with Sally and gang, came down the next morning for the funeral. The viewing was great in that we got to talk to and catch up with a bunch of cousins that we haven't seen in a while, like Mack, and Aubrey and her husband (they just got sealed last week!), Tate (and Ty). It was also great to see all of Tom and Cheryl's family (minus Larissa and family and Ryan, who is on a mission).
Mom, Dad, Peter and I stayed at a motel Thursday night, and we basically just got there and went to bed. Peter and I shared a bed. I didn't sleep super soundly the whole night because I think I was so worried about disturbing him. Ha. I don't think he slept super soundly either. Funny though, I can see that I am more of a sensitive sleeper at times like that, as I get older. I still can sleep like a rock, though, including snoozing my alarm for an hour-plus some days. Easy.
Anyway, the funeral was really great. I cried only at the viewing the morning of, when everyone was so emotional and it was time to close the casket, and when the family prayer was offered. But it was so great to be with so much family, not only to have our whole family there together (minus a couple spouses and kids), but to also see and be with extended family too. I really enjoyed it. And the funeral was a nice service. Went on for about 2 hours, but it was nice. The kids kept us entertained, as we tried to keep them entertained. I had Celeb or Ella on my lap part of the time, which was fun. I love those kids so much.
Then we had the big lunch after, which was delicious. Then we took a family photo, and our car headed out so that Peter could catch his flight and I could get to my mission reunion.
As soon as I got home, I changed, freshened up real quick, looked up the directions (which turned out to be wrong, or incomplete, I realized while trying to find it), and headed to my reunion in Lehi.
My reunion was so so great. I was about an hour and 45 min. late, but I got to see a bunch of mission friends and catch up, such as Sister Bird, Brett Cardon, Elder Mix! (love him!!), Bryant Pearson (still have a little crush on him..), the Gilgens, Sister Thacker, Cordon, and Dickson of course. And best of all (the main reasons I wanted to go) was President and Bishop Day! The Days were in town visiting for Conference weekend, and staying with the Hutchings, and it was SO good to see them! Oh my goodness, I am so bad and hadn't talked to Bishop Day since I left, 2 1/2 years ago, and it was amazing to see him. We gave each other a huge hug, and chatted, he and Sister Day and I. Then later I talked to President for a while, which was great too.
One thing that was a great blessing about going to my reunion was talking to some of the missionaries in Salt Lake, specifically Bryant, and Elder...(can't remember), who he lives with right now. I felt like Heavenly Father blessed me with moments within these conversations that helped me to see that I was going to be okay, socially, in Salt Lake. That was definitely a tender mercy for me.
The Days had to leave before I got to talk to them that much, because Sister Day wasn't feeling well (apparently had contracted Salmonella!), so I they told me to come over to the Hutchings that weekend, which I ended up doing on Monday morning, on my way back to Provo from being home for Conference. I joined the four of them for breakfast Monday morning, which, as I mentioned in another post later, was so so great. I absolutely love being with the Hutchings and Days. I feel SO loved, it's hard to describe. They all knew me during the most amazing time of my life, and were involved in some of the most sacred experiences of my life. They knew me as a missionary, which is so special to me. And they all think very highly of me, which means everything to me. There just aren't words to describe what they mean to me (the Hutchings and the Days). Definitely a highlight in my life to see and be with them.
And I'm so excited for the Days to be mission presidents, Bishop Day will be phenomenal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment