So, by "tomorrow," I really meant six days later...
I am feeling much better about the interview. Still don't know if it's for sure what I want to do, the career still basically terrifies me. One thing Peter said though, when I talked to him the next day, is that sometimes he wonders if he really wants to go to more school to do pediatric dentistry (he has been in the interview process, for the second time, for that program, and is now waiting for his "match day"), and then he remembers that he wants to do it to have those skills. So he can help and serve more people, and in a greater way. And when he put it like that, it made me less afraid. I would love to be able to help people with the knowledge I would have as a PA. And going through the schooling doesn't really scare me, I think I would even enjoy the learning process. But going through the second year, and doing residency, essentially, terrifies the heck out of me. You follow someone around for a year. That does NOT sound fun.
But right now I'm just focusing on the interview, and getting everything ready to go out there. I bought my flight a few days ago, for freaking $530. Basically sold my left arm. Now I'm trying to decide/figure out where to stay. The first night I'll stay either in a hotel, or with a member somewhere nearby, if there are any close. I looked up and called the local Bishop there to ask him about any members near the campus. He said he'll get back to me.
And the second night, if I don't do a hotel, Camille's old roommate lives about an hour and a half away, and she said I could stay with them. So I may do that, just to save money.
And I talked to a lady at King's College the other day, about the interview process, and she was really nice and helpful, and I asked her about what the actual interview would be like. Thankfully, like we were worried about, it is not a group interview. She said it will be a welcome, and then they'll talk to us about financial aid, and then we'll do a writing sample, and then we'll be interview by two people, and then they'll give a tour, which is optional. So that doesn't sound so bad and scary now. I'm actually kind of excited for the interview. If I can just get there, to that point in the trip, safely, and without getting too lost, I'll be good.
I'm basically planning on renting a car, which scares me the most of all, I think. I just worry about getting into an accident with it. I don't think I ever wrote about this, but just before Christmas, I crashed the Courtyard car, while on my way back from running an errand for Linda Ramon. It was one of the most traumatizing experiences I've had, I felt so bad. And the ironic thing was that that was what I was most afraid of when I started the personal assistant job. And then it happened. And on the only day I forgot my phone at home. It was awful. But a lot of good came out of it, and I was very blessed that it wasn't worse than it was, and that everyone was so nice about it (Marianne, Sandy, Reese). And the most amazing blessing was that I didn't have to pay for anything. Very very grateful, holy cow.
But I worry that something like that will happen in a rental car. I feel like I'm a fairly good driver, but I've been in more accidents than I am proud of, and it's a worry.
But I know that everything will work out with this trip, and I will be okay. Partly because there are a lot of people praying for me, including my sweet visiting teachers, Sarah Weeks and Jessica Rhees. They just came today, and I got to know them quite a bit, and I just love them. They are not people I would normally be friends with, but they were both so sweet and genuine and great, it was really fun to talk to them and hear all about themselves, including their love for Aname (?) and anything Japanese.
Oh, the lady at King's College also told me (I asked if she knew these stats) that this year there were 1600 applicants, for 18 spots. ONLY 18 SPOTS!!! And there will be somewhere in the thirties interviews. Then she was like, "yeah, you are in a lucky spot," or something like that. I suddenly felt VERY lucky, and like I may have a real chance of getting in.
Anyway, that's that situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment