So I just moved home yesterday, got here to Mom and Dad's house with all (well almost all) my stuff last night. And I must say that I'm feeling better about being home so far than anticipated. I will be in the basement apartment bedroom, not in one of the upstairs bedrooms, and Dad was so nice to paint it and give it a tri-tone look. It looks really great. And he moved the dresser thing (really a big file cabinet) over to the main wall, and took out the pile of blankets that were right there, so I could use it as a dresser.
And last night, as I was unpacking a little and arranging my stuff and then getting ready for bed, I must say, it hit me how nice it was to have my own room. To not be sharing with anyone. Oh my goodness--sooo nice! I have always shared a room at college, and it's been fine, it's just always been the cheaper option. But this last year, more than ever before, I have wanted to have my own room. I don't know if it's just timing, or that I'm getting older, or just my actual roommate this last year (Jessica Viehweg). But I must say, I am so glad to be in a different place (even if it's home) and in my own room. So refreshing. And I have my own bathroom too--and it's right there, off the bedroom, which is so nice too.
Today I went to church with just Dad, Mom hasn't gone a lot lately because of her back. It's painful for her to do much more than lay down; thankfully she is getting surgery for it this Thursday. But church was just kind of awkward. First of all, doing anything with just Dad is kind of awkward. Love him, but he just still kind of treats me as younger, somewhat, I feel like. And I knew hardly anyone there anymore, that was weird. I felt totally out of place. I didn't know exactly where Sunday school was, so I had to wait for Dad as he chatted with people after Sac. Mtg., and it was just uncomfortable to just stand there, having to wait for him to know where to go. SS was a good lesson though, it was Brother Linebaugh, teaching Temple Prep (for their Gospel Principles class), just felt weird being the outsider, ha.
Relief Society was better, I felt more comfortable there. I saw Sister James outside of it before it started, and she was so friendly to me, so happy to see me, hugged me, and then we chatted about Kylie, and how I saw her recently and how she just got down to Southern Utah for an internship at Zion. And then we talked about how I'm living at home now, and how her son, Patrick, is living at home now, after having graduated from USU with his masters, and how that's hard for both of them (the son AND the parents). This sparked my attention. I asked her why that is hard, from the parents' side. And she said because you (as the parent) forget they are an adult, you want to know where they are, make sure they are still alive, don't know if you should wake them up...etc. So that was an interesting insight to my situation. I hadn't considered the possibility that me living at home could be hard for Mom and Dad too. And maybe it's not, but it could be. And I kind of want to ask them and just have a heart to heart about it sometime. We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment