But first can I just say that I just love you, you are so amazing. One of the greatest friends I've ever had, even from the other side of the world!
But yes, school is way busy, holy cow. I don't think I'll have a social life again til I'm done. Ha, jk, hopefully that's not totally true, but it might be... But I'm liking it so far! When I got your email I think I had done one day of orientation (we had 2), and now I just finished my first full week, crazy. There's about 60 people in my class, and probably 7 of those are guys. Yeah, low odds. But only like two of them are not married, actually three I think. But not really interested. So that resource is out. Plus, no time for dating. But speaking of married people, nearly EVERYONE in the program IS. It's almost ridiculous! The first day we all had to stand up and tell a few things about ourselves, including something interesting, and I was second to the last, and I seriously wanted to say, as the interesting fact about myself, that I was single. I couldn't believe it. But it's okay, gives me less competition when those cute med students walk by, right..? :)
But yeah, I'm liking the program so far, it's a LOT of reading for homework, but since it's all for the actual career I will have, it's not as dreadful as say, reading a humanities textbook was. My Pharmacology class might kill me, but other than that, it's all great!:) It's nice to be back in school and learning again. I do miss my job, and Dean, and people I worked with, but where I am in life right now is good. I also really like the people in my program, everyone is older, already has a degree, so everyone is just mature and friendly and seem like really great people.
I have my friend that I worked with at Courtyard in it with me, and then turns out a friend from high school, who I wasn't super close to in hs, but I really liked, is in the program too! That was a fun surprise the first day at orientation. So the three of us kind of go around together a lot of the time, it's fun to have friends in it. I think Heavenly Father knows how important the social aspect of life is for me--not necessarily to have a social life, but to have good friends along the way, in hard classes and things, I dunno, kind of hard to explain--and I feel like He really blesses me with that. Like in my chem 107 lab for example, I was dreading taking the class, I didn't actually need to, but I did to increase my PA school options. So I was totally and completely dreading the class, and one of my good friends from my major (a boy) turned out to be in it, and then the lab group I ended up being in was super great, and one of the girls and I became really good friends. It was rather serendipitous. I felt like those things were direct blessings from Heavenly Father, because He knows how important that is to me, that social part of life, specifically hard things I guess. I wasn't as aware of it then, but same thing in my physics classes. Those were love-hate classes, because while I hated the classes, I made some really good friends while living in the homework lab, and had some really good times with friends in that lab, hacking away at the never ending homework problems, memories and friends I would never trade. Anyway, I'm sure you wanted to know all of this, now I'm just going on and on, but that's what I feel like has happened in this nursing program. And having friends has made it significantly more enjoyable, from day one. I feel like I can say I love it, because of having friends there. When I go to school I get to see my friends, who I really like (you're not being replaced, don't worry.:) However, if you were to stay in Jerusalem forever, that might be debatable...:) So life really is good. I feel like anything in life can be enjoyable if you are doing it with friends. And I feel very blessed to be.
So yeah, that's about all I do. I go to school, study, eat, and sleep (it's been a little bit of an overwhelming weekend, with the amount of reading/homework I've had to do. I literally studied ALL day yesterday, minus meals. I'm hoping I won't have to do that every Saturday...). As far as class time though, it's not bad at all. We are in classes Mon and Thurs most the day, and then just have four hours of lab (we get to practice in a new simulation lab that all looks just like a hospital, it's so cool!) on Tues and Wed, and we have Fridays totally off! So it's really not that bad as far as class time, so that's nice. And the professors are all pretty great, so I'm happy about that.
Anyway, enough about the nursing program, onto your other questions:
So nothing ever happened with Isaac. I actually texted him a few days before I moved home, to go to a BYU baseball game, cuz I had tickets, but he was going to CA for his grandpa's funeral. So we texted just a bit at that time, and then a few days later, but that was it. Nothing else. Weird boy. Whatever. Oh, but so weird, the guy that spoke in church today (in his late-40's, early 50's) totally reminded me of Isaac, and is probably what Isaac will be and talk like when he's that age, I decided. It was kind of bizarre. So of course I was thinking of Isaac during part of the talk. Ha.
Living at home is actually not that bad. It's actually been a pleasant surprise. Having my own room and being away from a certain roommate situation is SO nice. I couldn't get over how refreshing it was to have my own room here at first. And it still is so nice. Plus not having to write that rent check really is so so nice, and I have realized is well worth living at home for, to save that money. Especially cuz now I don't really have any due to being in school again, ha.
I don't know if I ever told you the main reason I was dreading living at home, but it was basically because of how my dad treats me (not badly at all, in fact, it's the opposite extreme, he is SO nice and just loves having me here, which is nice, but he shows it, a LOT. My mom actually put it perfectly the other day: he likes to dote on me. And it's true. He does, and I shouldn't complain, but it's sometimes too much, bless his heart.). Anyway, I now know that my mom understands the situation, which has helped, so other than things with my dad being how I thought they would be (ha), it really hasn't been too bad being here with my parents. I certainly eat well here, my dad still makes breakfast every morning for the three of us, and I get good healthy dinners everyday. My mom actually got back surgery right after I moved home, and hasn't been doing too well, so it's been good to be here for that too.
So really, life is good, I can't complain. I'm happy.:)
Today was my second week at the singles ward, and it seems like a really good ward. Last week I felt so out of place and so new. Y'know, that feeling. Didn't know anyone, that awkward first week. But today was much more comfortable, and enjoyable. Definitely a lot more girls than guys (what's new), but there's quite a few guys that look like they are great. Who knows. But that's the thing, I don't think I'm going to put a ton of extra effort into trying to date or into the guy dept in general because I think it would just make this semester harder. So for now, I'm just going to focus on school, seriously, and try to just survive. So I'm not super worried about my lack of boy right now. It was funny, on the second day of orientation, one of the professors was like, "Now. Major life events include getting married, having a baby, (named some other things I think), the nursing program...And it's good to have only one major life event in your life at a time...so if you're going to get married, do it in the two weeks between semesters." haha..I thought it was pretty funny, because of the few of us that even applies to, but also just how she said it. And how I'm basically supposed to actuallyavoid getting married while in the program (that's new advice!). I told my mom about that, and told her that she can stop praying for me to get married for about a year, and then she can start again. Haha.
-------
Okay, so I just went to a ward missionary fireside, and my newest updated opinion about my ward is it's great! I really like it, the people are so nice and friendly, and I keep meeting really nice girls. I even met a few nice and cute boys tonight too, that was fun. The guy conducting the fireside actually reminded me of Nick Purse, ironically, ha. He seemed really impressive, so I wanted to meet him, of course. So before I left I went up to him and thanked him for putting it together, and we chatted for a min. It was great. He was really nice to talk to...I wouldn't mind that happening again... oh wait, I don't have time..right. Focus, Melissa.
Okay, I'm going to end this email already. Sorry it's so long. I'm glad you're over the jet lag, I thought that was funny how you could tell, since it was hard to get up early again.:) But update me on how things are going when you get time! What's been your favorite thing so far that you've done or visited or seen? How are your roommates? And how's the food?
I love you, talk to you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment