Such are boys around here.
But I wanted to just write real quick about what I'm doing in my life currently, just for record purposes.
So we're in Spring semester at BYU and I'm taking classes: Genetics (hard), Psych 111, and I'm auditing Marriage Prep, which is an AMAZING class. I love it! So I'm in a total of 8 credits, and just 5 without the audit, so that's like 10 credits in a normal fall/winter semester. But I am so busy with just these classes. Genetics is really hard! I'm taking my first exam in that class tomorrow afternoon, and I'm nervous. It's open book, open everything, but it's timed: 3 hours is our limit, which I'm sure I'll use all of.
Anyway, I'm also working some--still at Courtyard (at Jamestown), still just PRN, but I get called (or texted) fairly regularly, some weeks more than others, and end up working at least once a week, which is just right. I have to say no to some because I'm in class, or because I really need to be spending that time studying.
I'm also in the middle of applying to PA schools, and need to be studying for the GRE (definitely haven't started...aaa), which I wanted to take in June...we'll see..
Also, my new calling this semester is Publicity Council Chair, and it's been soo time consuming so far! First of all, I haven't had a functioning co-chair to help me, or a council, b/c they hadn't been called yet for the first week or so; but some of my main responsibilities are the ward directory (aka "Ward Menu" :), which is a huge project, and which everyone wants asap, and also they asked me to put together a power point of the ward (most everyone) with pics, their past callings, and interests, for the "Ward Draft," or the "Selection." This was one night a week or two ago, when the whole ward council met, came fasting, and we basically took turns, council by council, choosing people off the ward list to be on our councils. The concept makes me laugh, but it's really effective actually, b/c by the end of the meeting--after only like 40 minutes!--everyone in the ward has a calling. So I made a PowerPoint for that, which took me multiple hours a couple nights in a row. And with the Directory, thankfully Anna Dapper, who did it last semester, has helped me a ton with it (b/c she did it before and has the program on her comp.) and saved me hours and hours of work; but I've still put multiple hours into it as well. Plus, I've been doing the Sac. Mtg. bulletin/program, weekly ward emails, and making and passing out (with some help) flyers a few times so far.
I like my calling and I'm very thankful for it, it's just been really time consuming so far! But now that the directory is just about done, and I have a co-chair (yay!) and a functioning council to delegate responsibilities to, it won't be quite so time consuming.
So yeah, that's basically been my life right now. I haven't really had much of a social life this semester til now, b/c I'm just trying not to drown in school. But I like school, I love being at BYU, and I like being busy, so life's really not bad. Being just slightly less crazy busy and swamped would be okay though. :)
One thing that's been hard lately has been feeling like I don't have a best friend, or even a good friend nearby. I feel like all my best friends are either not anymore (Tisah), or have moved or gotten married, or whatnot. Elise is in Jerusalem, I don't see my BYUSA friends right now (b/c I'm not doing BYUSA right now, it basically dissolves in the summer), and my other recent good friend, Alisha (my roommate last semester) moved home to Virginia. Sad. I've been hoping that this meant that a good guy was about to become my good/best friend, and that I'd maybe start dating someone, like Ken. It would be perfect timing, when I'm not attached to any friends really, and am, at times, so tired of the single scene. But tis not so. Exhibit A=Ken (or no Ken, rather).
I've told Heavenly Father how this is hard, to not have a best friend, or even just a good friend, and how it's hard not to, and it's lonely, and how I would really love one. And as always, He has heard and answered me. Today was such an answer to that prayer.
Alyse Moore is in my ward, and I first got to know her in BYUSA this last year, then I moved into her ward. I really like her, she is very down to earth and sweet. Reminds me some of Sally. I wanted to move in to her apartment, but when I was looking around here, there wasn't going to be any spots open in hers. I ended up buying Emily DeKam's contract, which is right next door to Alyse's apartment. Because we are all so busy, and whatever other reasons, we haven't really hung out or done anything together still.
Her roommate is Tiffany Gregson, who from the minute I met her a couple weeks ago, I really liked. She's almost exactly the same age, she's graduating in August as well, and she is also very down to earth and sweet and fun.
Anyway, I've thought for a little while that possibly I could become good friends with them, that maybe they would be my next good friends. So I've wanted to hang out with them. So we ended up doing a joint dinner today, with just Alyse, Tiffany, me, and Trisha from downstairs (my roommate, Kim, couldn't make it). Tiffany has a rough diet, similar to Celiac's disease, so we did a salad bar and fruit and dip and Alyse made rolls. It was all really good and it was so fun! It was so refreshing to be able to sit there with them and eat and chat, and keep eating, and keep chatting. They are all down to earth and I am so grateful! Afterwards, I went back to my apt and set stuff down, and then I went back outside b/c it was sooo nice outside, and then Tiffany came back out and then the other two, and the four of us ended up hanging out, just there on the "porch," for like the next hour or so, maybe even! It was so great! We just chatted, about boys and dating and how boys are dumb and Provo is lacking the great ones, and how people at BYU take dating too seriously, etc. Tiffany and I even talked about both moving to Mesa, AZ together (I want to go to the PA school there, and she just thinks it would be a good place to live). :) I sincerely think that would be way fun with her.
Robyn came out for a while (she lives exactly where I do, but across the parking lot in the other building) and we chatted (kind of yelled) with her too. Partly about how we need to build a bridge between the 2 buildings, so you wouldn't have to go all the way down and all the way back up to get from our floor/building to theirs, and visa versa. I suggested a ward service project. Building the BDA Bridge! :)
Anyway, over the course of this afternoon, we put together a dinner group (after much drams re: dinner group in the first half of the day...) with Alyse, Trisha, Robyn and I, plus others (Kim, Kathleen,..) and Tiffany is even going to join us just for the social part. I'm really excited about this dinner group, I'm actually good friends with those in it! (In our dinner group last semester, it was more functional for me, I'd just go for the dinner, and usu. leave pretty quick; I didn't so much love hanging out with those in it) But I'm so excited about our new dinner group and my new good friends!! I know all this was completely due to my Heavenly Father's hand in my life. He is so sweet to me, so provide me with friends, which is specifically what I have been wanting/needing. It amazes me. But that was definitely the highlight of my day, and I am SOO grateful. I feel so lucky to have some good friends now, ones that I'm sure I'll do a lot more stuff with now.
God is good. God is so good.
No comments:
Post a Comment