Sunday, May 8, 2011

Alisha Walbrecht, my awesome roommate

I really loved living with Alisha. She and I came to be really good friends. One of the ironies of the semester was that, while I was so un-fond of and was having issues with Kayla much of the semester, Alisha was thinking much of the same things about the same situation (Kayla), but we didn't realize we had both been feeling the same way about her until like 2 weeks before the end of the semester. Kayla was away for the weekend, with her family and boyfriend, Tyler, and Alisha and I were going to bed, and she mentioned a couple things about Kayla, one being that she was so done living with her. I was shocked. I thought she got along great with her. Turns out Kayla was driving her crazy too all this time. She was just being nice. That night we ended up talking til 4 am about the situation (Kayla) and mostly empathizing with each other (that's what we decided it was...:), and talking about her odd habits and ways, laughing about a lot of things we had each experienced with her but never talked about, and talked about why maybe she is the way she is. It was extremely..I dunno, relieving, therapeutic almost, very bonding, to be able to talk about the situation with her, because she had been living the same thing and knew exactly what I meant and how I felt. It was great. We got some good laughs in that night and became even closer. We had been becoming better and better friends all the time all semester, but I felt like after that night, we were really good friends. She has definitely been one of my very favorite roommates. We're both really easy going, very similar in that way, actually (which was really lucky for Kayla, and I think is one of the main reasons she ended up liking us so much. Kayla is the polar opposite of easy going.). She is really mature in a lot of ways, which I really appreciated; she's strong in the Gospel (was one of our RS Presidents), she's confident and knows who she is. She is a sincere person (completely opposite of Kayla, much of the time), and she's really kind and selfless. She would share anything of hers, without fail. She was a really great example to me of that, and made me want to share more, and share more easily. She would often stay up at night, as I was out studying, or at home doing homework, and kind of wait up for me--never actually saying that, but in a quiet way. Kayla would go to bed around 10 or 11 a lot of the time I think (I'm unsure because I would purposely stay out, at the library usually, until I was pretty sure she was in bed, so as to avoid any frustrating conversations with her), and I would get home around midnight, or later, from studying or what not, and Alisha would be up reading her scriptures, or on her laptop, and would end up going to bed pretty much when I did. This happened a lot, and I really appreciated it, actually. Because she wasn't clingy or anything, but I think she just quietly kept herself busy until about when I would start to get ready for bed, or shortly before I would quit what I was doing, or she would get ready and then stay up reading in her bed until I came in the room to go to bed. This didn't happen all the time, but definitely a lot of the time. And I'm not for sure that it was because of me, but it definitely was very coincidental timing a lot of the time. But I really liked it. I really like her. It was sad to say goodbye and see her leave and move home to Virginia. But I'm very grateful that I got to live with her. We had some great conversations (about boys and how frustrating they are, about good and exciting happenings with different boys, about Joseph and why he is the way he is, about our futures and what lies ahead of us (she just graduated with her masters, and for a while before had no idea what to do or where she would get a job after, while I was also trying to figure out my life and what I would do after I graduate in Aug--I've since decided on PA school; I don't know if I've written that in here)) and memories together. I will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment