I taught RS on Sunday (today is Thurs), and I felt like I should teach on Elder Bednar's talk from last GC (April 2013), called, "We Believe in Being Chaste." So I did. And it was basically a lesson on the law of chastity. I also used a bunch from the True To The Faith gospel reference book on Chastity, and some from the For The Strength of Youth, on Entertainment and Media.
Anyway, I just wanted to write about it because I was so blessed that it went so well. I didn't spend as much time on it as maybe I wanted to or usually do, because I've been studying for the NCLEX, and when it came time to teach I had all my material printed and highlighted and such, but I still hadn't decided how to start and I felt pretty disorganized. But it all turned out okay. In fact, I got a lot of really nice comments on the lesson. The Halls, the Whites (at least Sister White), Bishop and Connie, and even President Featherstone and his wife were there (Stake Pres)! Funny thing was they didn't all make me nervous, at least not more nervous than if they wouldn't have been there. I was happy that they were all there, especially because I got some really sweet, kind compliments about the lesson from them. Sister Hall specifically came up to me after to compliment me, the Featherstones said over and over how great it was, and Pres. F kept saying something like, "even though it was such an easy topic.." haha (later that night at the Stake fireside Sis. Featherstone kept saying how "perfect" it was, that she's heard so many lessons on the law of chastity, but this one was "perfect." I was so flattered!). And Bishop, sweet Bishop Christensen, I love him so much already, but after the lesson he told me what a great job I did and gave me a hug, and like leaned his head against mine as he hugged me, which he doesn't normally do. It was such a sweet, sincere hug and gesture, it just meant the world to me. I respect and admire and love him so much, it really meant a lot to me for him to pay such a compliment to me, in action and word.
I feel so blessed. I feel like I have been blessed with a gift to teach. I have always really enjoyed teaching, about the Gospel, especially, and I am so grateful for this gift. People made some comments about the stake Pres. being there, and the pressure, but I felt none of it. I was happy to have them there, I loved that they were. I think because I had confidence in my ability to teach and was happy to have them there for my lesson. That sounds kind of vain...maybe it is.
But anyway, I'm so grateful also for my confidence in talking about a subject that can be awkward or nervousing, because it wasn't really awkward for me at all. I don't really have a problem being blunt about things. I don't like to just say what I'm thinking always or share my opinions often, for fear of being wrong or offending people (I've learned that the hard way), but I have no problem relaying the blunt truth of what our prophets have taught.
And since then, at stake Institute last night, the Featherstones sat behind Jamie and I, and the teacher mentioned how in the future, he believed Pres. Featherstone was to teach a lesson on the law of chastity, and at that point Sis. F mentioned how great my lesson was again, and then the teacher said something about that being a good topic for a stake pres. to cover. And Pres. F leaned toward me and was like, "because I've learned from the best." It was so flattering. I have sooo so much respect and admiration for him as well, that it means so much to be complimented in that way. That's when Jamie was like (well, after Sis. F said her comment to me), "she was there?" and I was like, "Yeah, they both were." And Jamie was like, "Oh wow..pressure" or something like that. But it really didn't make me feel any more pressure. I love them, and I know they love me (as well as the whole stake, not just me). I feel blessed to have had opportunities to be in their home (or their backyard, at least, a couple times), and get to know them personally a little bit. I love the Featherstones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment