Monday, April 14, 2014

Rough night of work

So last night I got floated. First time that's happened, and I've kind of been dreading it for a while, knowing it was bound to happen soon. Well, it happened, and I was optimistic about it at first, but it was a nightmare. At least the first half of the shift.
I floated to OTSS, the Ortho Trauma unit, and it was so stressful, for the following reasons:
-the unit is HUGE, twice the size of ours, and I felt SO lost.
-3 med rooms
-I didn't have time to look up my pts before I got them, and immediately after I got them they started calling for pain meds
-I gave someone the wrong med
-I just felt so lost and overwhelmed

After about 1 am, things calmed down, and I felt a lot better about things (partly because neither the MD nor the pt was upset at all about my mistake in giving the wrong med--which took a HUGE load off my shoulders), and the night ended good, and everyone was really nice and helpful to me, especially the charge nurse, Sharon. But I was SO glad to get out of there, and so glad to be on my usual floor for my next shift. Definitely made me appreciate AIM-A (my unit) much much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment