Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Isaac Calvert

I haven't really written much, if anything, about Isaac yet. It is really late and I am supposed to start another semester in the morning, but he is in the ward, and long story short--he was engaged pretty much, at the beginning of the semester, and then she broke it off and shortly thereafter got engaged to his best friend. Needless to say, it was a really hard time for Isaac. One day I casually asked him how he was, not expecting anything original, and he ended up kind of unloading on me and just telling me basically his situation in a nutshell, basically what I just described. I felt so bad for him. A week or so later he wrote and stuck in our door this really nice page-long note apologizing for unloading on me like that, and thanking me for listening and not making it awkward. It was a really nice, sincere note/letter, and I really appreciated it. I wrote him back not to worry and that I was happy to be able to be there to listen that day, and that I was so sorry about what he was going through.
I saw him every now and then after that, and I would try to ask him, very sincerely, how he was doing. He would answer sincerely, and honestly it seemed, and slowly he was doing better. So through that means, and then also through weekly institute, we have become friends, and I really like being around him. A while back, maybe a couple months ago, I felt like he was maybe interested in me, because of things he'd say or the attention he was beginning to give me more of. So I started becoming interested in him.
Since then, my interest has never died, but I've not really wanted to do anything, because of his situation he's been in. I did call and leave him a message Conference weekend, personally inviting him to our pre-conference breakfast Sunday morning. But he didn't come. No big deal.
Anyway, now he was just called as the new EQ pres, and tonight he and the 2 new RS presidents--one of which is one of my new roommates, Kim Franke--were going around to the whole ward, to find new people and welcome them and have them fill out new member forms. I am the new Publicity chair, so I am in charge of the ward directory, for one thing. So I went around with them, so as to get pictures of new people for the directory. So it was the four of us going around together, and it was pretty fun. Isaac and I have somehow reached a level of communication where we mostly are sarcastic with each other and joke around. Some may call it flirting. I don't know what it is. He does this new thing when he sees me (started doing it yesterday after church) where he looks disgusted. When he did it first yesterday, I was like (in my head), "he totally likes me." :) I don't really know, but he sure treats me like boys treated the girls they liked when we were in elementary.
Tonight, during the whole excursion, he asked me how to actually pronounce my last name. I said it, and rolled the rr's, which he thought was funny. We make each other laugh, which I really like.
But then a couple times, at least, throughout the night, he referred to me as "Gurr," or used my last name as well as my first, which I liked. I like being called "Gurr," I think because I associate that with fond memories like playing volleyball in school, and being called "Gurr."
Anyway, I would love to keep getting to know him better and hanging out with him more. He's going on tour with BYU Singers for 2 weeks tomorrow, but hopefully after that we can start doing stuff..

No comments:

Post a Comment