Sunday, November 17, 2013

Great (orientation) shift!

This is my 3rd Sunday in a row that I've had to work a 12-hour shift, and I still have 2 more in a row,.....wait, I just realized I only have one more and then I get a Sunday off..! Yes!!
Anyway, I don't love working Sundays, obviously, but there are good things about working them: less people on the floor (no admin, etc), you can park anywhere (on weekends--awesome), things like that.
Today I was with Malisa again, who I've actually come to really like as my main preceptor for orientation at the U (hospital). She's been really great. She's been good at letting me do more and more. So things were great with her, she had me take 3 out of our 5 patients, which was the first time I've taken 3 on a day shift, and things went really well! I felt like I was able to stay on top of things more than I ever have (which wasn't completely, but it was progress..!), I felt like I did and asked things to the patients out of my own critical thinking (i.e. "When was the last time you bathed..?"), and I got to take the Sacrament! I happened to catch these two guys, dressed in suits, clearly the Mormons taking the Sacrament around, and we went in the break room and they both said a prayer and administered it to me. It was pretty neat, and I was really grateful. Turns out they will come do that each week around 11:30, I guess. Hopefully I can catch them again this next Sunday.
There were other great things...oh, I finally faced my fear of good looking guys, and met this other new nurse that's been on the floor. Cody. Turns out he's actually really nice and friendly. And he graduated from the U just the semester before me, in May. And now I feel like we are friends. I hope I see him more, I liked him.
And everyone working that shift was great, really friendly. Colline, my favorite aide, was working, and on our end! And she had all my patients, loved that. Oh, and after I didn't get to try starting an IV on another nurse's patient because Erin, the charge nurse, beat me to it (she didn't know I wanted to try), Malisa let me practice on her, and I got it in right away! She was so great to let me practice.
It was just a really great day, gave me hope that one day I can be on my own, and made me really glad I am a nurse. I am really liking my job! Oh, AND we left before 8! Wow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment