Yesterday was a pretty good day. I got up at a reasonable hour, and even got a decent amount of sleep. I felt very rested, it was awesome! I mostly just got things done here at my apartment all morning and early afternoon, like cleaned, worked out a little, showered, wrote my Humanities arts encounter paper (1 page), did banking stuff online, etc. It was a pretty productive morning/early afternoon. Then I went to work for Jill, whom I love, at 3-10, and work was so good! I drew bottom of 2nd, which has Cherae, my favorite (not). I decided yesterday that I was just going to keep getting that section until I learn to love her. And yesterday, for some reason, we got along so well, and she was actually appreciative of me, and nice all day. A miracle actually took place: she didn't get mad at me ONE TIME!!!! That has never happened to me, ever. Not ever since I worked there in May 2007, I'm pretty sure. A
Anyway, it was amazing. Absolutely miraculous. She even told me that she really liked me and that she wished I could help her every day. Ha! I never in my life expected to hear that from her. She clearly doesn't remember that I'm the same girl she kicked out of her room a few years ago (for something like not doing up her sandal buckles exactly perfectly...). Though, I wasn't the only one she did that to, so I probably don't stick out as much as you'd think, for that reason.
Anyway, also Bob (224) was on my hall of course, and he was also very pleasant yesterday. I think because I figured out that he really likes to be given choices, and the opportunity to make choices, as opposed to being forced to do things, or doing things in a different order than he likes. So yesterday I was all about choices with him, starting with going in shortly after getting there, to change his inevitably wet brief. Usually he will let me, but is not happy about it. So I went in, expecting this same routine, but I guess I got lucky. I squatted down to his eye level and just told him why I was there: to help him to get a dry brief if he needed one, and he immediately, and kindly, said that yes, he needed a brief change. Then I asked him if he would like to do it in the bathroom or right there where he was (by his chair--some residents like to change just right there, if they don't need to use the toilet), and he said in the bathroom, which I was glad about. It's much easier in the bathroom, with the bars to hold onto, etc.
And he was happy with me/liked me pretty much the whole day. Well, except I guess when he felt like I wasn't coming to get him for dinner and rolled out to the elevator himself, though he said he was looking for me and remembered my name, which I was happy with. :) Residents rarely remember (or use) your name, which is fine, there's a lot of us, and they're old. :)
The funniest thing of the shift happened right before I went home. I went into Bob's room one more time just before 10 pm (put him to bed around 6 pm) to change his brief, and normally he is asleep when I go in for that, but this time right after I walked in and turned the living room light on he shouted, "Hello!" Then I changed his brief and everything, as he seemed wide awake, though things he was saying, including wanting to get up and go to his chair in the living room, made me wonder if he was kind of still asleep... So I took him to his chair and got him situated, and he asked me how old I was. I don't usually ask people to guess because age is so hard to guess, but last night I thought it would be fun to hear what he said. I asked him and he looked at me for a bit, and finally, after much thought, he said, "Low eighties." I chuckled to myself, but wanted to be sure that's what he said. I said, "Did you just say 'low eighties'?" And he said yes. Hahahahaha!!! I was dying! I told him I am 23, and he was absolutely floored at my "young" age. It was hilarious!
As I was about to leave his room he wanted to get back into bed, and as I was putting him back in, he was still talking about my age, and couldn't get over how young I was. It was so so funny. I am proud to say I apparently look in the low eighties to some. :) Definitely something to brag about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment