Thursday, March 26, 2015

Worked ALLLLL day, but I feel better

I ended up working a 15 hour day today, because the night shift was going to be super short tonight, so Sara and I both stayed after our shift to help the next shift pass meds and stuff for a bit. I left right before 10 pm, hoping not to miss the shuttle back to my car in the O-zone (I thought it ran until 10 pm..?), but I seemed to have missed it, so I just walked down to the O-zone. It was a pretty nice night, and thankfully I didn't get stole or anything.
But the day was good, I had an orientee, Heather, who is awesome, and took 4 of our 5 patients the whole day, so I pretty much only had 1 patient all day, who was pretty low-maintenance, so it was an easy day for me. But it also got me out of my funk. Work is good for that for me. If I'm in a bad mood when I get there, I'm usually not when I leave.
Highlights of work were letting one of the nursing students practice placing an IV on me. I've offered to multiple students to let them do that over the last year or so, but she's the first one who has taken me up on it, so weird. I would always jump at any opportunity like that when I was a student.
So I felt better when I got home, but then mom showed me this whole packet Sylvia Fenton had sent to us with Arved, about how she lost her 6 1/2 year old son long ago, and the story and experience. I ended up staying up in the kitchen and read the whole thing, and just cried through a lot of it. It was sad what happened (he drowned in the American Fork River), but the whole Dylan thing (he's been gone just less than a month and a half) made it so close to the surface and made her experience so much more relatable to me because of that I think. I was sad about Dylan, and for Sylvia all over again. So that was sad. Some neat tender mercies she had with it though. And he was an incredible kid! And he would have been my age, we would have been in mutual together, so that's a bummer. It would have been fun to have a guy friend my age in the ward growing up (I had Rob Dittmore, but he was a little different..).

No comments:

Post a Comment