Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ashley's baby

I taught RS today, on the life and ministry of Lorenzo Snow. I think it went well, it was a really long lesson! 21 pages printed out! But he led an amazing life and had some incredible experiences healing people, seeing the Savior after he became the Prophet, and serving many missions.
I also led a get-to-know-you activity at the beginning of it, and it was chaotic, but fun! There are so many girls in our RS (tons today! I swear there could have been 100 girls in there today), and so many moving in all the time, that we don't know them, and they don't know each other, and it's always the same girls that come to activities. So I'm hoping the activity today will help all those things..

Today I also sent an email/facebook message to Ashley Vasquez, the 11 year old girl who was my first baptism on my mission, who is now 16 and, very sadly, pregnant. I found out about 4 months ago, when Heather (her mom) told me on fb. I about died.

I had a dream about them the other night, and since then, Heather, and Ashley and her baby have been on my mind, and I am just so worried about that baby. Last I had heard, Ashley was going to keep the baby, but Heather is a single parent herself, hasn't gone to church much lately as far as I know, drinks sometimes (at least facebook shows), she's on welfare and disability, so Ashley is on WIC.. it could be a good home, Heather is definitely a loving mother, but there would certainly be better homes out there for that baby. And it has been stressing me out so much lately, nearly to the point of tears. I don't know why I feel so strongly and so worried about it, but that's what I fasted for today, was that Ashley will place the baby for adoption. I was planning on writing Heather today and including a link to the LDS family services website for unplanned pregnancies that Sally directed me to recently. It's called itsaboutlove.org, and it is really well done. There are some really great videos to watch, of girls who got pregnant unexpectedly, at different ages, unmarried, and what made them decide on adoption for their baby.

So I wrote Ashley instead actually, and included a link to the website. She actually wrote me back pretty quick, I just read it, and she says she's going to keep her daughter. I know things can change, which is what I'm hoping for, but it just breaks my heart. I want to say to her, "you are too young to be a mother! I know you love her but you can't take care of her! You aren't even done developing and growing yourself! Let your sweet daughter have a great chance at life, and give her a home with a mother and a father, and with financial stability! Where she will have opportunities you never have. Where she will be raised in the Church, which will mean the world to her. If you really want what is best for her, let someone who wants a child, and can give her a good home take her. And then straighten out your own life and make something great of it!"

I don't think I can say that though. I am in tears now, just so worried about that baby. I don't know why I feel so...connected to this situation..almost responsible somehow, for the outcome. I don't know. It really worries me though. There are so many people out there who want kids so badly and can't get pregnant, and then there are these immature teenagers who get pregnant by making a bad decision and messing up, and then it's like the baby gets punished for something not in their control. Makes me so mad. Life is so unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment