So every second thursday of each month we have a tri-stake temple night at the SL temple, with a 7 pm chapel session and then all ordinances after, with refreshments in the cafeteria following, that anyone can go to. It's cool because it's all YSA, and the chapel session is usually pretty full. The session is always packed, and performed by YSA (or close to) temple workers, which is fun. The temple stays open late these nights, just for us.
So this last Thurs (today is Sunday) we had one, and at the last one, as Jamie and I sat in the cafeteria at a table, chatting to this guy who later got her number, there was this other guy who walked in and got some refreshments. I noticed him, he was cute, but reminded me of Sean Rutschke. Remember him? My BYU freshman year best guy friend/guy who I wanted to marry but who got married on my mission and whose child I later babysat a couple times? Anyway, this kid reminded me of him, and I wanted to talk to him, which I could have gotten up to "get more refreshments" but didn't, and he ended up sitting somewhere else, and I never talked to him. I was really hoping he'd be at the next one.
And he was! But let me start at the beginning of the night. It was a pretty good night! Jamie was not with me that night, she went to the BYU young professionals social networking thing that she and I went to last year and met that Matt guy, nice guy, but nothing happened between them. Anyway, she wanted to get to know better Lant Webb who would be there, which was great. I was actually happy to go solo. Although Erin Burns came with me, she was the only one who met to carpool. She's funny, happy to talk all about herself and answer all my questions I could think of about her life as we drove, but never once asked anything about me. Ha.
But I was to say the opening prayer in the chapel session, filling in for someone who was sick. Emily Thatcher had texted me earlier that day and asked me. So I sat up close, told Pres. Featherstone I would be filling in, and he told me he knew my name. That was cool. I really love him, he's an amazing Stake Pres., and I love listening to him speak..
Sat by Liz, and then Stacey Balfour too, and I don't know what's going on with Liz, I feel like I've offended her or something, she just doesn't seem to be able to just talk to me and be real, she's always just being goofy or laughing stuff off. It's getting obnoxious. I'm her friend and visiting teacher, but I feel like she doesn't like me so much anymore or something. But I was happy to be otherwise by myself.
But I saw so many friends that night, it was so fun! While sitting in the chapel session and people were coming in, saw Anneli Hansen (BYU ward, now she lives up here, going to nursing school), Haley Elmer from my misison!, McKell Dalton that I met at that conference earlier this year; later I saw Calli Whipperman from high school (haven't seen her since I don't think!) as we were walking into the Creation Room for the session. She and her parents were standing in the hall, had just done sealings. It was so good to see her! And I was grateful for the excuse to get out of line/order from being next to Liz and Stacey (they basically dragged me into line with them, when I was fine to be by myself), but then they had saved me a seat anyway. Ha. But I chatted with Calli for a min, and found out she is getting a divorce. :/ So that was sad to hear, she said it's a really good thing, but it's still sad to me, and kind of just made me think..
So anyway, good session, I serendipitously (?) got separated from Liz half way through when we didn't fit on the same row. I was grateful, not gonna lie. I just wanted to be by myself. But I think it was actually maybe the third time ever that I've stayed awake during the whole session! Ha!
So to the cafeteria. I was actually hoping the guy we had seen at the random and awkward stake dance last week would be there, and I think he maybe was in the session, I finally spotted him at the end of the session, and saw him in the Celestial Room, but never after. But in the cafeteria, the guy that I saw last time was there! I made an effort to make eye contact with him, and smiled, I thought he would come over to our table and sit with us (Stacey, Cindy, and me), but he didn't. Then he left a little later. Oh, well, I thought. But then, as Erin and I walked outside, there he was standing at the corner waiting for the light to cross the street! This was my chance! I quickly thought, Heavenly Father is blessing me with this chance, I had wanted it, and He was giving it to me, so I had better take advantage. As we approached the corner to wait behind him and this other guy standing next to him, he looked back, almost like (I maybe was flattering myself) he was interested in talking to me, which probably wasn't true, but that gave me a little encouragement anyway, and I touched his shoulder and asked him if he was related to a Sean Rutschke (yep, that was my technique). He wasn't, of course, but then I asked his name (Cody, I think) and he asked mine, we shook hands as we crossed the street, and chatted on the way to the parking garage. Turns out he just graduated college and is a CNA up at Huntsman, and I told him I just work there at the U. We chatted about that, he told me he's going to med school next year though, which is cool. When we got to his level of parking, he left and we said bye. I was bummed that that was it, that he didn't ask for my number or anything, and was at first hoping I'd maybe see him at the next one or something. But the more I thought about it, the more I remembered that I really am not dying to start the med school road with someone right now. I mean, if it was right, I'd do it, of course. And I used to be totally for it. But I'm about to turn 29, and that's just a loooong road, haha. Sally and Joe just got done with that road a couple years ago, and it was looong. So I feel like it was actually a blessing and just fine if we never date. Ha. Dodge that bullet.
But I was so grateful that I got to meet him! Felt like that was definitely an answer to prayer. And now I can just cross him right off my list and stop wondering about him. Heavenly Father is so great.:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment