Monday, July 22, 2013

Paul no Mormon, kind of heart-breaking

So a quick update on Paul.
I'm still working for him, going on like 4 months or something..anyway. The whole flirtiness has totally simmered down. Now we're just like good friends and we just have a great time chatting and laughing about stuff, as well as teasing each other. We have a great relationship. Nothing even bordering on inappropriate anymore, so it's nice.

Also, so I've  given him a BOM, with a nice note written in the front, and a bunch of verses marked up, invited him to church and encouraged him to come a bunch (still hasn't), and just recently I gave him a Plan of Salvation booklet. I thought he might be interested to read more about that, and specifically about the resurrection and such, being paralyzed, and being interested when I say I know he'll be able to walk one day (interested in how I know that and have so much faith, is what he asked me a little while ago). So that was a few days ago that I gave him that. I knew he hadn't read any of the BOM, but I thought he would be more likely to read the booklet, it being much smaller, especially.

Well folks, no such luck. Tonight, as I was showering him, I asked him if he'd read any of it, and he said no, and I was kind of surprised, and he said that he probably wouldn't either. Then he was like, "I'm not going to become Mormon, Melissa." Kind of like, "duh, hello, get a clue." He didn't say it mean or anything, but it was just so final and kind of took me off guard. I have been feeling more encouraged the last little while that perhaps he is being softened, even if slowly, from being around me and me talking about the Gospel every now and then and different things he'll ask me about. But I guess not. Although sometimes he seems more open than others.

So I tried to play it off and after saying that wasn't the point, and that I just thought he would be interested in what was in the booklet, specifically, I changed the subject and tried to just act like it was no big deal.

But inside it kind of was a big deal. It was kind of a blow, to be honest. And I know it's not me, it's not a personal blow, but it definitely makes me sad. I would love so badly for him to enjoy the blessings of the Gospel, it just kills me that it's simply his agency that is standing in the way. I could pretty much hand the Church to him, or at least hook him up pretty quick, with missionaries and such, but he (at least tonight) apparently has absolutely no interest, and maybe never has at all. Fooled me.

But oh well I guess, all we can do is invite, right? Then it's up to them.
It's still sad. The Gospel means so much to me, it's so hard to see someone refuse it.

But hopefully as I continue working for him and trying to be a good example and influence in his life, maybe one day he will soften up. I would give a lot to see him dressed in white getting baptized one day.

There's so much more I need to write about, like there being only 10 more days of nursing school! Jamie's and my great relationship (I'm so blessed with great friends, I just can't believe it), our 4th of July trip up to ID to her house and how much fun THAT was, my FIRST EVER drive-in movie this weekend! Etc.
But it's past 1 am and I need to go to bed so I can get up and do spanish and other homework all day.
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment